Sunday 5 January 2014

Bye Bye My Love.....


I inherited my love of Rock 'n' Roll from my parents. The big names Chez Cartwright when I was growing up were Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Ricky Nelson, Elvis, and above all, the Everly Brothers. In the 60's, I remember that on a Friday after work, Dad would always bring a couple of 45s home. Pop music was exciting in those days.

My final moments with my father were spent listening to the Everly Brothers. When a person is fading, the last sense to be lost is the hearing. Although he could not really communicate with us, he would smile and tap his feet to music up until the final days. Dad introduced me to so much great music, and Bye Bye Love by the Everlys was, ironically, the last song we were ever to listen to together.

And today, we learn that at the age of 74, Phil Everly has passed away. I saw the Brothers live a couple of times in the 80's. There were differences between them, but they were still a great act.

Rock 'n' Roll has lost one of it's greatest names this week. And I wish I could have shaken his hand and thanked him for the pleasure that his music gave my father throughout his life, and especially during in his final days.





No comments:

Post a Comment